Friday, May 14, 2010

Rule Two: In Madrid, if you can help it - don't be Black.

If you don't like rude, racist, ugly, big-haired old biddies staring at you as you walk down the street, try really hard to not be of African descent. Surely you're not the first black person they've ever come across, but they will certainly make you feel like it. Apparently Spain's proximity to Africa has no effect on the biddies' openness towards other cultures.

Black women: when the BOBs (Big-haired Old Biddies) are staring you down left and right, it's hard to conduct business as usual. You might want to take comfort from all the men who are smiling sweetly at you, but please don't do it - chances are they think you're a prostitute. The tired stereotypes about black women's sexuality exist in Madrid too and according to my friend D (who's living there now) they run pretty deep. So, if you're an overly smiley, friendly, or flirtatious sort - in Madrid you'll need to put a lid on it.

I'm not alone! http://www.bit.ly/9PeikJ

Another note: We ran into some people who think nothing of it to question a complete stranger about her ethnic or national origin. For example, I'm having a delightful chat with my girls when out of nowhere this dude comes up to us, pointing and yelling at my friend Kat, "Mexicana! Mexicana!" Um, 1) Not even close and 2) Is this really your starting point for a conversation? Then he asks me, "Are you from Mississippi?!" He says it like he is soooo sure of himself, that this is where I'm from. OK, jerk, now why of all 50 United States are you assuming that I'm from Mississippi? Are you imagining me as a poor child eating watermelon on the porch and asking for my mammy? Do you think I'm gonna go home and get with you and then make you some chicken?

You can go to Madrid if you want to, but you can be racially stereotyped here in the States for a lot less money.

1 comment:

  1. My friend, his girlfriend, and his girlfriend's friend were in Madrid around the same time you all were, but they had a blast and weren't harassed or pickpocketed at all.

    I had a sneaking suspicion that their race had something to do with that (they are all white), and this post just confirmed that suspicion. I guess the US isn't the only country that has issues with race.

    ReplyDelete